Friday, December 16, 2011

Well that changes everything

(crying)Mommy, my tummy hurts.
wife: Did you go to the bathroom?
Yes, and it still hurts.
me: Go try again, you might have more.
I’m bleeding.
wife: That happens.
Not there...

That was roughly my wife and I’s conversation with our 9½ year old daughter at roughly 3am this morning. At that point we were both up.

She had woken us up about an hour before with complaints of pain and we thought we “fixed” the issue by suggesting the bathroom. The second time, just before she said the bleeding part, I started to think that THAT could be the issue. My wife went with her in the bathroom and did the best she can to explain the situation, half asleep, at 3am in the morning.

We both knew that our little girl was growing up faster than we wanted, but before 10 seems young. I know for girls, there is no exact time as to when their bodies start changing, and I’ve heard stories of some starting as young as 8, but deep down you hope your daughter’s body can hold off until she’s a little older, say 25. :)

For my daughter, questions are now going to be asked, and hopefully my wife can answer them (I know I sure can't). I wish her well on this journey into womanhood and I will do my best to help her get through it (as much as a father can). There will be painful days, and there will be wonderful days. But starting today, I/we have to stop treating her like a little girl, but a blossoming young woman.

I’m not sure I’m ready for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment