Thursday, October 29, 2009

Great Site

I found this site a while back (I may have even had it sent to me by a friend, I'm not sure) and think it is awesome for planning running routes.

The site is gmap-pedometer.com and it uses Google maps. If you check it out you will see that you can add points on the map so that you can have an idea how far you are running. Since I have a Garmin watch, I don't need to plan my distances ahead of time, but sometimes I need to plan a route that matches a desired distance. The reason I like to plan it ahead is so that I don't end up short or too long on my distance when I do a big loop. Up until now, I've been able to hop on a local bike path to do my long runs, where I just do an out and back, but now that the weather is starting to change, that bike path soon won't be available for running and I will need to run on sidewalks. This means that if I want to finish at home without doing an out and back, I will need to have an idea as to where I should turn in order to achieve my distance.

Check it out, the site may surprise you as to how versatile it is.

In parting, I will leave you with a quote from a song I like.

"Wouldn't it be great, if the band just never ended
We could stay out late and we would never hear last call
We wouldn't need to worry about approval or permission,
we could - slip off the edge and never worry about the fall"

Consequence Free, Great Big Sea (Turn)

No comments:

Post a Comment